Analytics Tracker

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Things I am Loving in an Extreme Way

I've seen a lot of people doing these "Five Things" posts lately, and while five seems like a pretty arbitrary number I think it's a good idea to look on the positive side on a mid-week day when it's butt-freezing cold outside. Side Note - My brain kept trying to skip Wednesday. It just went straight from Tuesday to Thursday with nothing in between, and no matter how many times I reminded myself by saying "no, self...tomorrow is WEDNESDAY. You have an 8am project meeting and two assignments due tomorrow..." two seconds later I'd be like "oh so tomorrow is Thursday right?" False.

Anyways, here are some things I'm loving:

1) Valentines Candy! I know I usually try to advocate healthy living, but I really like candy. Sorry. I'm not really a fan of Sweet Hearts but I always buy them anyways around Valentine's day just because they're there. And peanut M&M's because holiday peanut M&M's in different colors are really just an excuse to constantly stockpile them in huge amounts. "Hey but we won't have black and orange/red and green/pink and white/bright green/random pastel colored M&M's until NEXT YEAR. We must BUY THEM ALL RIGHT NOW AND HOARD THEM FOR THE APOCALYPSE!" The fact that all of the colors taste the same is completely irrelevant. But I think my favorite Valentine's Candy award goes to these guys:

Not because they're the most delicious, but just because I have nostalgic memories of buying them in bulk in my childhood and savoring them for as long as possible. They're hard to find but I was pretty excited when I saw them at Target yesterday, so I bought two bags.


2) Our Guest Signing Album from Kelly Brown. Kelly is AMAZING. If anyone is looking for a wedding photographer I would recommend her without hesitation. Granted, we haven't been through the actual wedding day yet but I was so happy with our engagement photos and I can't believe how quickly she whipped the layout for this book together. For the full spread and more of her work check out http://kellybrownweddings.com/blog, but here are a few of my faves:
(all photos, layout ect. by Kelly Brown at Kelly Brown weddings)

3) My Mittens - This is just a simple appreciation for a great pair of mittens. I bought them at Mississippi Market two winters ago and have never been happier with a cold-weather purchase (besides my Uggs). People in other states don't realize that winter accessories are not just a fashion statement in the Midwest - they are actually necessary if you want to avoid certain death or having body parts amputated. My hands never get cold in these, and they are the only mittens I've actually gone through pains to retrieve after forgetting them somewhere (restaurant, yoga studio, coffee shop bathroom etc.) .

4) Music:


Sometimes a song can just lift you up no matter what mood you are in. I listen to Matisyahu in the morning a lot, to put me in the right mood for the day - happy music in general is really helpful if I wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

5) Rumi

THE GIFT OF WATER

Someone who doesn't know the Tigris River exists
brings the caliph who lives near the river
a jar of fresh water. The caliph accepts, thanks him,
and gives in return a jar filled with gold coins.

"Since this man has come through the desert,
he should return by water." Taken out by another door,
the man steps into a waiting boat
and sees the wide freshwater of the Tigris.
He bows his head, "what wonderful kindness
that he took my gift."

Every object and being in the universe is
a jar overfilled with wisdom and beauty,
a drop of the Tigris that cannot be contained,
by any skin. Every jarfull spills and makes the earth
more shining, as though covered in satin.

If the man had seen even a tributary
of the great river, he wouldn't have brought
the innocence of his gift.

Those that stay and live by the Tigris
grow so ecstatic that they throw rocks at the jugs
and the jugs become perfect.

They shatter
the pieces dance, and water...
do you see?

Neither jar, nor water, nor stone,
nothing.
You knock at the door of reality,
shake your thought-wings, loosen
your shoulders,
and open.

...just remember, you are always enough. Happy Wednesday :)

1 comment:

  1. This post is on my list of things I love in an extreme way :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...