Analytics Tracker

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sayonara!! Healthy traveling tips from me to you

Good morning! Ben and I are sitting at MSP waiting to board our flight to Chicago...after which we have a 14 hour flight to Seoul, a 3-ish hour layover and then another 5.5 hour flight to Bangkok. I am pretty pumped about being in Thailand, but not as pumped about 24+ hours of plane travel. I really have difficulty sleeping on planes so I am stocked up with melatonin, in hopes that will help. We'll be staying in Bangkok for 3 full days, then heading to Koh Pha Ngan (a southern island) for a week, then back to Bangkok for one more day before returning to Minneapolis. I am super excited! AND super-proud of our packing skills. After making it through 2 weeks in Turkey this winter with only a duffel bag and a backpack, I was convinced I could do it again - especially since Turkey involved suits and sweaters, whereas Thailand involves mostly sundresses and bathing suits. So, we are taking a 2 week international trip with only carry on baggage! A roller bag, a giant purse, a duffel and a backpack. And we packed an extra nylon duffel inside the backpack for all our purchases :)

Ben and I are not exactly strangers to international travel - between us we have India, Singapore, Japan, Ghana, Germany, Hong Kong, Mexico, Costa Rica, Turkey, Norway, Greece, Canada (eh!), Cuba, Thailand, Holland and Switzerland under our belts. One thing that always gets me on these journeys is food and snacks - yes, they feed you on the plane and while the meals themselves are usually fine, sometimes you need a wholesome and filling snack to tide you over. So, last night when I was procrastinating packing, I made this video about healthy travel tips, and how I plan to snack healthy and keep up my yoga while we're traveling. Like my other videos it is totally awkward. Enjoy!




There are also a couple of things I forgot to mention in the video:
1) Stay hydrated! Bring a giant bottle of water (after you've made sure you won't have to go through security again) - sometimes they do NOT give you enough water on the plane so it's good to have your own supply.
2) Eating at the airport is expensive but it doesn't have to be unhealthy. Starbucks is my favorite place to grab a travel meal... I love their oatmeal, and they have a number of sandwiches under 500 calories (look at the nutrition info) and sometimes snack plates with cheese and fruit.

As I said in the video, I'm really going to try to keep up with blogging while we're traveling but I can't really say how great our internet connection will be. I'll aslo be (hopefully!) updating my flickr account (I'll post the link later). See you on the flippity-flip!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...