Analytics Tracker

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cool as a Cucumber: some wedding tips from an abnormally calm bride-to-be

Well, I think we've finally discovered the solution to this ridiculously hot weather - cold soup!



Ben made this cold cucumber and yogurt soup while I was at work yesterday, and it's pretty much all we've been eating since. It is so nice and refreshing -garnished with fresh tomatoes and some olive oil, it's pretty much the best way to beat the heat.

The title of this post actually has a double meaning though, because I've been having people tell me I seem abnormally calm and organized in the days leading up to my wedding (...which is obviously why I'm writing a blog about it at 12am the night before my bachelorette party?...yes...). I guess I didn't feel like feeling calm before your wedding should be weird - I mean, I'm marrying the man of my dreams, and all of our friends and family are here to support us...why shouldn't I be happy?


It's not like I haven't been busy - over the last week and a half or so, the wedding-related tasks have really started to pile up, but somehow Ben and I have just taken it all in stride and gotten everything done. I think a large part of this balanced attitude has to do with a) we have no doubts about our relationship, and b) both our families are extremely low-drama... but aside from that I definitely have a few suggestions for brides on how to stay calm before your wedding:




~ Take Care of Yourself ~



It's easy to let things like sleep and good nutrition slide when you start to get overwhelmed with wedding related tasks, but it is so important to make sure you are eating healthy and getting enough rest (again, says the girl who stays up until 12 to write blogs...just trust me though, this is super important). Keep plenty of fruit and veggies on hand so you're not reaching for sugar (my first instinct, but I know I'll just crash later), and set a cut-off time for when you are going to stop working and go to bed...and then make yourself stick to it!



~ Relax ~



Take some bubble baths, remember that it's OK to pamper yourself, and don't add things into your life that make you more wired up. Personally, I've cut way back on caffeine for the last few days and have been substituting other beverages for coffee - Kombucha Botanic no. 3 contains Lavander which is great for calming effects, and Yogi Tea's Kava Stress Relief is one of my favorite herbal teas to wind down with in the evening.

and last but most importantly...


~ Make Time for the Things you Love ~



Even when it seems like it's impossible to fit one more thing into your life, you absolutely *have* to make time for the things that nourish your spirit and keep you centered. For me, keeping a steady yoga practice has been invaluable... and this doesn't mean that I'm practicing for hours every day. Sometimes it means 20 minutes of forward bends and sun salutations before work, whatever I can fit in.

I also try to sit down for a few minutes every day to mess around on my guitar and play some music, and we make sure to go to choir on Sundays. Making the time for music and yoga gives me more strength and energy to get everything else done.

And lucky for me, I also have an amazing, rock-star family who is supporting me through all of this - a family that is only going to get bigger on Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...